SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORM ETHICS
Social media has emerged as an indispensable tool for communication and interaction. In addition to its affordability, the feature with which it offers group interactions makes it more appealing. This has significantly motivated laggards (late adopters of technology) to switch to smartphones.
WhatsApp groups being the most interactive instant messaging platform, which has emerged to be more active than all the active SNSs (social networking sites), has numerous advantages. However, to appreciate these advantages in a better way, the institute ought to be mindful of some ethics which are necessary for virtual interactions.
This article highlights on the Group Message Settings (Preferable) and the platform Group Ethics
Group Message Settings (Preferable)
- IPMP Social Media Platforms (WhatsApp, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter, etc.) shall have a name that represent the institute and the institute Logo shall be used as group profile picture
- The purpose of establishing IPMP Social Media Platforms (WhatsApp, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter, etc.) must be communicate and approved by the ethics and conduct director in consultation of the executive board
- IPMP Social Media Platforms (WhatsApp, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter, etc.) shall be managed by an administrator appointed or approved by the ethics and conduct director
- IPMP Social Media Platforms (WhatsApp, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter, etc.) shall seek consent of individual members before adding participants to groups
- IPMP Social Media Platforms (WhatsApp, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter, etc.) shall be a public communication platform for all members.
Group Ethics – Do’s
- Keep to the purpose of the group, send messages for all in the Group; and not limited to certain individuals.
- To acknowledge and recognized individual for achievement professional.
- The wish of member’s birthday is permitted in the group, as it is also way of celebrating our members.
- Advertisement related to Institute of Project Management Professionals shall be allowed since, the platforms are the means of communication to members.
- Keep in mind that your words can be interpreted in multiple ways, so use short sentences that can’t be misinterpreted.
- Circulate only authentic and factual messages. Ask yourself these four questions before posting: (1) Is it true? (2) Is it relevant? (3) Is it necessary? (4) Is this a good time to post?
- Check the date of the news that you want to forward in the Group; and ensure it is not very old. Remember the news should be relevant to project management and its related fields
- It is better to be a silent spectator in the Group, than being a nuisance by responding to every message posted on the various platforms.
- Politely excuse yourself before you quit the group.
- If you are the Group Administrator: offenders in the group should be cautioned personally; and repeated offenders can be removed permanently.
Group Ethics – Don’ts
- Do not share irrelevant messages about other topics in a particular group.
- Do not post negative messages on religion, community, region, political party because it may indirectly hurt others.
- Do not embarrass fellow member in the group.
- Do not forward advertisement messages or offer messages without factual basis in the group.
- Avoid sending prayer-chain or surprise over recitation of prayer(s) in the group, as the purpose of the same is like the previous point.
- Don’t be offended if others leave the group. Not everyone wants the same information.
Materials Authorized to be Shared
The code is indicated the above that not everything that is worth sharing is suitable for sharing in IPMP group. There are a few exceptions to this. They can be shared in all groups, but they are also optional. IPMP Social Media Platform should think carefully before sharing them:
- Good News: When one graduates, or birthday, may share that good news with the institute members. This type of news can be shared across all IPMP Social Media Platform Groups.
- Sad News: Death, accident, and pandemics are among the sad news you can share with the group and should be related to our members.
- Invitation: Invitation to the institute CPD, annual conference, forum discussions, press release, or open house.
- Seasonal Greetings: When it’s Eid, new year and national anniversary, you can share congrats and best wishes with all groups that share with you the same celebration or understanding about it.